PV Peninsula Water Reliability Project (PA-29-16)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 CalWater Pipeline Project banner

Stay up-to-date by visiting CalWater's Project Website:

 CalWater's Water Palos Verdes Peninsula Water Reliability Project 

Maps & Timeline can be found by clicking here.

PV Peninsula Water Reliability Project Overview

The California Water Service Company (“Cal Water”) is proposing to construct new potable water pipelines and a new booster pump station to replace the current water distribution system serving the Palos Verdes Peninsula, which has reached its useful service life, and improve overall system reliability. The PV Peninsula Water Reliability Project (“the Project”) involves the construction of approximately seven (7) miles of 24-inch and 30-inch pipelines, in various public street rights-of-way, utility easements, bridle trails, and other public and private property, within portions of the Cities of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes and portions of unincorporated Los Angeles County.

Cal Water’s Palos Verdes Peninsula water system provides service to the entire Palos Verdes Peninsula, covering an area of approximately 26 square miles ranging in elevations from sea level to 1,465 feet. This complex water system is comprised of 109 pressure zones and hundreds of pressure-reducing valves to deliver water in this range of elevations. The Palos Verdes Peninsula water system distributes potable water to the Peninsula through two distinct water distribution systems: the D-500 System and Crenshaw/Ridge System. The D-500 System serves the lower elevation areas of the Peninsula, which accounts for about 13 percent of the Peninsula’s total potable water demand, while the Ridge System serves the upper elevation areas, which accounts for the remaining 87 percent of the demand.

The Project consists of three main components:

1. D-500 System upgrade: This component of the Project would increase the reliability of the D-500 System by improving access to the pipeline for repairs and maintenance and would reduce the risk of property damage by relocating a portion of the water main;

2. Crenshaw/Ridge System upgrade: This component of the Project would provide a redundant path to convey water from Cal Water’s 850 pressure zone (Ridge system) to the highest reservoir in the system; and

3. New Pump Station: A new pump station would be constructed along the west side of Crenshaw Boulevard between the existing curb and adjacent hillside, approximately 800 feet north of Silver Spur Road. This pump station would receive potable water from the new 30-inch pipeline (described above) and pump it through a new 24-inch pipeline (described below) and an existing 27-inch pipeline to the existing reservoir, located at the highest point in the water system.

The Project will require the following approvals from the City of Rolling Hills Estates:

  • Adoption of appropriate environmental determination

  • Conditional Use Permit (Pump Station)

  • Variance (Pump Station)

  • Grading Permit

  • Noise Variances (Nighttime construction hours)

  • Encroachment Permit

The Planning Commission will be holding a Public Hearing to review the entitlements and the IS/MND for the project on Monday, February 5, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the City of Rolling Hills Council Chambers, 4045 Palos Verdes Drive North, Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274. Applicable Project documents may be reviewed below.

Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration

Final PV Peninsula Water Reliability Project Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration

PV Peninsula Water Reliability Project IS/MND Appendices Public Review


calwater logo