Public Works/Encroachment Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A public works/encroachment permit is required when there is any work, such as trenching or boring, in the public right-of-way or placement of a roll-off container on a public street.  Some examples where you may need a permit include:

  • Street excavation
  • Driveway approach
  • Curb and Gutter
  • Sidewalk
  • Decorative paving or walkways
  • Water, gas, electrical, cable TV and telephone services (underground)
  • Drainage outlets through curb

Public Works Permit Process Guidelines [PDF] 

Click here to access the Permit Application [PDF] and contact RHE Public Works for more information.

If your right-of-way work requires excavation State Law requires that call Underground Service Alert of Southern California a minimum of 2 working days prior to the start of work. The dig staff notifies all underground utilities or other owners of equipment in the area that you will be digging. Utilities and owners are required to make the location of their facilities known so that they are not disturbed by your chosen project. Phone Number: 1-800-227-2600 or 811  For more information visit: